Thursday, November 30, 2006

My Greatest Challenge as a Teacher...

I found out early this week that one of my preschoolers dad committed suicide on Thanksgiving. What do you say to a little girl who doesn't quite understand what's going on. This has been the greatest challenge for me. I'm very emotional about the whole thing and don't know what to do. I tear up everytime I look at her. She told me that her dad will be in heaven now and that heaven is a good place. She talks about him all of the time. She even wants to be dead so she can be with her dad. How sad is that! I've been so strong in front of her every day this week and I just break down as soon as I walk in the door at home. My heart goes out to the family. The whole family is in a state of shock, I feel for the mom because just last week she told me that the dad moved out of the house for awhile, (I'm assumming marriage problems) and now to have to deal with this. I'm sure she's feels some of the blame. I know what it's like to have your family break apart when you're at a young age, but I can't imagine going through something so tragic as this. He was a great person and leaves the world at the young age of 30 also leaving behind a wife and four daughters. Part of me is angry too...I know that life can have it's ups and downs and sometimes you wonder how you're ever going to get through it, but can life really be so bad that you feel you need to take you're own life to make the people you love suffer?

1 comment:

anne elizabeth fern said...

How horrible! No one should have to go through that, let alone at such a young age. At least the girl has her mom and her teacher to support her. Take care of yourself, too though. Being strong is tough work.