Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Trip Back In Time...

As I was driving home on Friday I was bumming about the rainy weather. It was so gloomy outside and it made me feel kinda lazy.

As I turned down my street I saw an older man and a little girl in a pink rain coat on the sidewalk in the rain. At first I thought, "Who the heck would be out in this weather" and then I noticed that they were picking up worms on the sidewalk.

I couldn't help but think of my past. Any time there was a nice, steady drizzle outside my dad would get my sisters and I excited about hunting for night crawlers. We'd wait until dark and head out in rain coats and have flash lights and buckets in hand. We'd walk through the grass shining the light around hoping to see a nice, fat night crawler at the surface. We really had to act quick...grab it and dump it in our buckets. The night crawlers would bury down in the ground if you shined the light on them for too long. I still remember the slimy yet sandpaper texture of the worms...it kinda grossed me out.

I can't remember if we actually used the night crawlers as bait for fishing or not. I just think it was a father-daughter(s) time well spent.

Thanks Dad, for the great memories!!

1 comment:

The Zimm said...

Slimy night crawlers.....mmmmm, good eatin!!