Sunday, June 17, 2007

It finally feels like summer!

I finished the first week of my new job on a good note. All of my curriculum training went well and I'm excited to get into the classroom and learn their daily routine.

Corey and I started off our summer by taking a trip up to the family cabin with my dad and Kathy. (I figured it was the only way I would see my dad for Father's Day...he's up there every weekend.) It finally feels like summer...going to the cabin always does. My dad has had this cabin for a few years now, before this place he had a place on the other side of the lake, and before all of that my family would go up to the Spicer-New London area to stay with my dad's friend at his cabin. So this area really feels like a home away from home...my summers were spent here. I have to say...my dad picked the perfect area to have a cabin.




We arrived Friday night ready for some relaxation. Summit was so excited to go to a new place that I don't think she slowed down all weekend. We all tried to get her to swim on her own but had no success. She'd rather leap like a deer through the water than do the "doggie paddle". I tossed her off of the dock a couple of times and she swam to shore all on her own...the rest of the weekend she avoided me every time I was on the dock. (I think next time I better just jump in with her.)


The weather was absolutely beautiful! It was around 80 degrees, partly cloudy, and a cool breeze from off of the lake.

Saturday my dad took me for a ride in his new boat...holy crap does that thing fly across the water! He got it to go over 60 mph. I think this boat might be a little too fast for tubing behind now. ;) We did some fishing off of the dock and everyone caught some pretty decent bass. I love to fish for sun fish, so dad and Kathy showed us their secret spot...I only caught one, but everyone else did good.

Summit loved her first boat ride. Although, her second boat ride wasn't too much fun for her. I think it was a mixture of hot weather, eating lake foam along with leaves and sticks, and getting lots of exercise that caused her to get a little "sea sick" on the boat. Good thing I brought one of her towels with me...she threw up on the boat...poor Summit. All it took was a little water and some sleepy time and she was ready for another ride.


Summit loved to play with and lick all of the fish we caught. We think she thought of the cabin as "doggie heaven". She did really well in the two hour car ride to and from the cabin, for the most part she stayed near us when she was off of her leash, and she enjoyed her trip to see the weigh in at the sheep-head fishing contest that was being held on the lake. Corey and I both think that she'll do a great job on our camping trip to Bemidji State Park in July.

We ended our wonderful Father's Day weekend at the Brower's for dinner. Corey, his dad and his brothers enjoyed sorting through their grandpa's old fishing lures, while Nora, Jackie and I visited out on the deck. What a beautiful night!! This is definitely summer time weather.

No comments: