I love the school itself and their philosophy of teaching. They use a curriculum based on Balanced Learning, blending the two leading philosophies of teaching children. One of those philosophies endorses a child-initiated approach, in which children are free to explore their individual interest with teacher support. The other places a greater emphasis on teacher direction, where an established curriculum leads children along a consistent learning path.With the Balanced Learning approach, they combine the best of both philosophies. The particular interests of each child serve as the springboard to healthy social, emotional, physical and academic development, while teachers guide them to self assurance and prepare them for lifelong academic and social success.
I interviewed at the Eden Prairie school two weeks ago and was immediately impressed with their overall appearance. Unfortunately, they were not hiring for the summer, so I'd have to wait until fall. I then submitted my application and resume to the school in Savage, interviewed with them, and accepted the job.
There are so many good reasons for me to be working for this school...
(in no particular order)
*Benefits: The most important to me was finding a school that would offer me benefits. (yes, it's hard to believe, but the last school I was at did not.) This Primrose School offers a nice health and dental package and they're looking into starting a life insurance plan as well as a 401K for next year.
*New School: The Savage school opened September of 2006, so not only is the school in nice shape, but the teachers are new and around my age. I think it will be fun working with that group. Another plus is that the school is a few miles from my house. So my commute will be a piece of cake.
*Curriculum: This school uses the Houghton-Mifflin elementary curriculum, which is the same curriculum used in the public schools. It's great! When the children leave this school and enter into first grade they will be at the same level, if not better, as everyone else. Another thing about the curriculum is that we're given it! No more writing lesson plans, no more staying up late trying to come up with a related activity to go with my lesson, it's all given to me in this curriculum book! This will be so easy for me now, and I'm also able to expand with my creativity on each lesson at a non-stress level.
*Supplies: Everything that I want to use in the classroom is paid for by Primrose. If I see something that I could use, like decorations or a teaching tool to go with my lesson, I don't have to worry about using my own money to purchase these items. They even have a resource room where I can look through books or browse on the computer for teaching ideas. AWESOME!
*Very Professional: This is a private school, so I feel very "high-class", all teachers, staff and children are required to wear a uniform. I really don't mind that. Now I know what to wear everyday...I'll just have to keep up with the laundry. I really need to invest in lots of black, khaki, and navy blue pants now. We're given 2 polo shirts, with the company logo stitched on it, and a name badge. I'm sure I'll have to order more shirts soon. Appearance wise, I feel like I'll really stand out as a teacher now...I can't wait until I stand out with my talent and creativeness in the way I teach!
Another "professional" aspect is that I won't have to spend half of my time cleaning. I can really focus on the children...they hire a cleaning company to come in and clean after hours.
*Food: There is kitchen and a cook on hand throughout the day. She prepares all of the "healthy" snacks and lunches for the kids and to be good role models we eat the same snack and lunch with the kids...no additional fee for us. FREE FOOD! I've heard it's way better than public school lunches. Still, I can save so much money by eating lunch there. WhooHooo!
*Climbing the Ladder: At the Primrose Schools I'm able to move around with my position. With my qualifications I'm able to work in or move to any of the following...
Kindergarten: ages 5-6
Pre-Kindergarten: ages 4-5 (which is what I accepted)
Preschool: ages 3-4
Early Preschool: ages 2-3
I was told that, If I wanted to, I could eventually work up to an assistant director and/or director positions. I would need to take another 6 months of schooling to do that...but it wouldn't be that hard. I think I would be interested in something like that. I love teaching and working with kids as well as working in the administrative field. Having the best of both worlds would be ideal for me.
I'm really excited to start the next chapter of my career. I feel at this time I'm making the right choice accepting this position. I'm so glad that they decided to do a summer camp at this school. It's not as "routine" as the school year, but this way I can start in the summer...and have a relaxed and fun summer enjoying field trips and camp. When I continue in the fall I'll be so prepared and ready to get into the "school year routine."
I start my new job on Monday, June 11th with a week of training.
Wish me Luck on my new adventure!!

4 comments:
Congratulations and good luck Mel! I'm glad it worked out for you!
Congrats!! Those kids are lucky to have you.
YA WHOOOOO!!!
Way to go Mel. I'm so excited for you.
Good Luck and I agree with Andy that the kids are lucky to have you!
Let me know how things go!
Congrats!!!
Post a Comment