I love teaching, don't get me wrong, but do you know what I LOVE to do?
ORGANIZE!
The other day I walked into Gander Mt. and made my way to the "girls" area. (The crafty-house decor. section.) I noticed how unorganized it was and all I kept thinking was how much fun it would be to organize it. Maybe I could get a part time job there and just keep that area clean. It drives me nuts when you walk into a store and it's so cluttered. Keep the place organized and I'll stay longer and buy more!
I started dreaming about how much fun it would be to own and operate a craft store or teacher supply store. I have worked in both types of stores and enjoyed the arrival of new shipment, keeping the store looking its best, and having excellent product knowledge. Yes, you can get the crabby customers from time to time, but for the most it's fun.
My friend Aimee and I have always thought it would be fun to have our own "crafty" store. We've even thought about some catchy names for the place. Oprah talked about how to organize your home today on her show. Now how the hell does a person go about getting a job to be a professional organizer? I would be AWESOME at that!!
I'll go back to dreaming about all of this. To get started I'd need a million dollars, a person to keep my books, some employees, a great location (although I've spotted some empty retail space near Target in Savage that would be great!), and all of the free time I can spare to get this going.
So for now I'll continue teaching...I don't want to waste my bachelors degree now do I?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Mel -- don't forget that Christine opened her own store here in Chicago on a LOT less than a million dollars and with no employees... it's worked for two and a half years. Don't give up on this, if you really want to do it. They went from concept to doors-open in six months. The biggest time-consumer? Actually building out the store. Most everyone pitched in and helped at cost.. and you KNOW we have a lot of family that can help you!
you got my noodle wheels a rollin'.
what were some of those names?
Post a Comment