"I smile because you're my sister; I laugh because there's nothing you can do about it."
Everyday I have a story or two to share with my students about me and my sisters. As I was finishing a story today my co-worker said to me..."you are so lucky to have such FUN memories"...I AM LUCKY!
I use to think so negatively about my childhood and today I opened my eyes to the good, the funny and the memorable. Here are a few good ones I'd like to share. (I think only my sisters will understand them all.)
Here's to some great 'sister' memories...
*When the three of us were at home alone... we always wanted to bake some cookies and had no ingredients in the house and no way to drive to the store so we would call the neighbors. Each of us would call a different neighbor asking for a cup of flour, sugar, or a couple of eggs etc. Each of us ran around the neighborhood gathering ingredients (mostly making Natalie do all the running) and when we met back in our kitchen we had everything we needed to make a great batch of cookies.
*When the three of us had our bedrooms upstairs we would pile up our laundry in the hallway outside our doors. At bed time we would lie in bed and shout to each other..."I think the laundry pile looks like a monster", "I think the laundry pile has the shape of a cat", etc.
*We had a great good night prayer that still makes me laugh to this day..."Good night sleep tight, worlds wonder medium R, see you later alligator gator gay, after while crocodile crocodile die......" What the hell it meant, I have no idea!! Hahaha.
*When we were sent to bed, we were never tired, so we would sneak into each others rooms and scare the crap out of one another. I still have to sleep with the covers tucked underneath me, to avoid any hands that might take a grab at my leg or something.
*We would get so bored at home we'd jump out of our bedroom windows from the upper level and race to the front door to see who could do it faster...or to just get away from the sister who was doing the chasing. One time our neighbor Doug stopped us and asked if we were locked out of our house and needed help getting back inside through the window. HaHa.
*We loved to chase one another with 'weapons' in our hands. One time I fought back during a chase and I swung a broom at my Stef knocking the clock (my homemade clock from junior high shop class) off of the wall and ended up throwing my back out. That was interesting to explain.
*The best and most memorable was our TAPE. (Yes, Stefanie and Natalie, I still have the tape.) In junior high I won a huge boom box radio that had two cassette players. We thought that it would be fun to record our voices and make a radio show. "Stefanie's Talk Show". I don't know why we picked Stef to do the talk show...she had lost her voice and could barely talk. I was the one who sang the theme song and did most of the commercials while Natalie was our audience. (The younger one always got the crappy part of our skits, right Nat? Hahaha.) Now with everything on cd I no longer have a 'tape' player. Someday I'll come across one and be able to listen to our wonderful talk show again.
What FUN memories...thanks Stef and Nat! Love Ya!

5 comments:
That was a very fun read! Thank you for reminding me how great sisters are. You sure got me to thinking about our childhood!
Mel, I know where you could find a cassette player that works.
You just have to know the right "old guy".
peaceman
Mel, that was so funny to read. One thing you forgot to add was all the times that we played church in the living room. haha good times :)
Nat
Melanie
I still love all those stories. When you 3 ladies took me out for my birthday,we laughed the whole time. I never get tired of them. Don't forget about the turtle that was a great story too:)
Love you
Mom
Very funny, Mel. Great idea for an entry. I think I will have to do some thinking about a great "sister" story and post it!
Post a Comment